Military history

Stancil Civil War Veterans

John Thomas Stancil Confederacy foot soldier
Born Jan. 23, 1841
Died Jan. 27, 1922
Served Feb. 28, 1862 under the command of Sgt. Jackson Raines
Company C, 5th Regiment of NC State Troops.
Went home for 15 months in August 1862. Returned to service Feb. 1864.
Captured at Battle of Bentonville, NC,
Paroled at Goldsboro May 2, 1865

James Henry Stancil
Confederacy Wagonmaster
Served April 19, 1862
Company A, 55th Regiment, transferred to Company B, 12th Battalion, NC Calvary

Josiah Stancil
Confederacy Wagoner
Served May 5, 1862
Company A, 55th Regiment

Jacob Stancil,
Served May 2, 1863
Company A, 55th Regiment
Wounded in arm at Gettysburg on July 1, 1863

Thomas Haywood Sasser
Served May 30, 1861, 10 days after succession from Union
Paroled at Appomattox Courthouse, Va., April 9, 1865


By Durward Jerry Stancil, son of Freeman Durward Stancil, grandson of Freeman Elbert Stancil and great grandson of Samuel Stancil and a member of the Samuel Branch



Thomas Haywood Sasser was the brother of Delaney Catherine Sasser Stancil who married John Thomas Stancil

Sons of Samuel and Martha Patsy Rentfrow Stancil

    • James Henry Stancil
    • John Thomas Stancil
    • Josiah Stancil
    • Jacob Stancil

North Carolina seceded from the Union on May 20, 1861. A very enthusiastic Thomas Haywood Sasser at age 22 went to Northampton County to enlist in the war just 10 days after secession.

His enlistment day was May 30, 1861. He served with the 5th North Carolina Regiment, Co. C. His record reflects the history of 5th North Carolina Regiment. Wounded in the shoulder at Seven Pines, Va., May 31, 1862. He rejoined the Company before March 1, 1863. Then Thomas was wounded in the hand and ankle at Gettysburg, Pa., on July 1, 1863. Thomas rejoined the Company in September 1863. Then he was wounded in the neck at Winchester, Va., on Sept. 19, 1864. Thomas Sasser was paroled at Appomattox Courthouse, Va., on April 9, 1865.

On Feb. 28, 1862, John Thomas Stancil enlisted in Selma, NC, with the Confederacy under the command of Sgt. Jackson Rains, Company C 5th Regiment NC State Troops. Also enlisting the same day and serving along with, was James Hinnant. Under the command of Jackson Rains, a group of enlisted privates marched westward to Raleigh to ride the train to the capital of the Confederacy, Richmond. The regiment was 460 strong, and was made up mostly farmers and farm workers from Johnston County, with a few from Wilson and Wayne counties.

They left Richmond by train for Manassas Junction, Va. They joined the Regiment at the Winter Quarters Camp near Centerville, Va. From there, they served on picket near Fairfax, Va. On the 10th of March, they cooked rations and prepared to march to Culpepper, Va. and beyond the Rappahannock River. On April 10, in Richmond, they loaded men and supplies on steamers. They steamed down the James River, disembarking at Kings Landing, ten miles from Yorktown, Va.

At Marching inland, they took position in and near the trench works outside, just south of Yorktown. They maintained this position with skirmishes almost every night. The company left this position late in April and camped in Williamsburg on the grounds of William and Mary College until May 4th when they left Williamsburg and joined a battalion 3 miles outside of town on the road intersection between Richmond, Yorktown, and Williamsburg. Shortly after dark, the 5th Regiment marched at a rapid pace into a Federal position and received heavy artillery and gunfire.

By the morning of the May 5th, the regiment had 252 killed, 82 wounded and captured. All officers were either killed or captured. Jackson Rains was wounded in the leg, captured and imprisoned at Fort Monroe, VA. James Hinnant was killed. The next morning, reorganization of officers took place in the field.

After this battle the 5th NC earned the name "THE BLOODY 5TH." It never refilled its ranks, but served throughout the war. It was reassigned to serve with the 23rd Regiment NC and 24th & 38th Regiments VA infantry. This was commanded by Major General D. H. Hill, serving with "R.E. Lee's Army of Northern VA." Those who served through the war were at Appomattox Courthouse when Robert E. Lee surrendered on April 8, 1865.

On May 9th, the regiment joined forces in the evacuation of Norfolk, engaging in many skirmishes along the James River & at City Point, and on May 19th was the Battle of Gaines Mill. On May 23rd, the regiment was in battle at Ellison's Mill near Mechanicsville and on the 24th was in a skirmish at Seven Pines. On May 27th, the regiment was at the skirmish at White Oak Church near Gaines Mill. On the 29th, skirmished at Seven Pines, and on May 30th, skirmished near Fair Oaks. On May 31st, Thomas H. Sasser was wounded in the shoulder at Seven Pines.

June was spent in the trenches, having daily skirmishes at King's School House and receiving heavy artillery fire from the Union Army. On June 26th they were at Mechanicville, Gain's Mill and Cold Harbor, White Oak Swamp, and moved on to Melvern Hill. Heavy losses were suffered by both Confederate and Union sides by the end of June. On July 1st, the 5th Regiment was at Harrison's Landing. This ended the Seven Days battles around Richmond, VA. The regiment had marched over 400 miles. On July 9-10th, the regiment moved to Richmond to be transported by rail to Orange Courthouse to join the Army of Northern Virginia at Second Manassas Battle.

After the Second Manassas battle, the regiment had suffered heavy loses and the remaining men were in bad health. A sickness, listed as "Typhus Pneumonia," had left one third of Company C's men unable to continue to the march into Maryland. At this time, John Thomas and 33 other men, left the march for a leave to regain their health. Eight of these men died within two weeks.

It is unclear how long it took John Thomas to return to Johnston County, NC.

Many remained at home a while to regain their strength. It was written that the soldiers ate ripened peaches and mulberries as their only food for travel. John Thomas returned to Delaney and his firstborn son, Henry (b. 1861).

John Thomas did not return to continue his service with the 5th NC but remained at home for about 15 months. At this time, North Carolina's Governor, Zebulon Vance, had a militia to return soldiers to service. John Thomas reentered his service in January 1864. Records were not well kept but his name appears on "McDugald's Co. Home Guard" registry. This company served with the 2nd NC Junior Reserves as a local support. They serviced and maintained the Wilmington Weldon rail lines which was the life line of the Confederate supplies. Records show that the 2nd Junior Reserves were at the Bentonville battles. Those who were captured at Bentonville were paroled at Goldsboro. John Thomas was paroled at Goldsboro on May 2, 1865.

James Henry Stancil enlisted in 55th Company A, NC on April 19, 1862.

He served as a teamster: wagon master and forge master. He was later transferred to Company B, 12th Battalion NC Cavalry.

Josiah Stancil enlisted in 55th Company A, NC on May 5, 1862. He served as a wagoner.

Jacob Stancil enlisted in the 55th Company A, NC on May 2, 1863. He was wounded in the arm at Gettysburg, Pa., on July 1, 1863.