William Arthur Stancil
William Arthur Stancil Sr.
Arthur Stancil was born Dec. 26, 1898, and died March 12, 1956.
Arthur's children

With Clyde Holland

Worth "Tom" Hayes Stancil
May 16, 1924-Dec. 28, 1985

William Arthur "Bill" Stancil Jr.
Aug. 8, 1925-April 16, 2003 Va.
Margaret Stancil Sellers
June 22, 1927-Jan. 27, 2008
Male Stancil
Sept. 23, 1932-Sept. 23, 1932
With Sidney Perry

Betty Lucille Stancil Brown

Edward Thomas Stancil
Clyde Holland Stancil, William Arthur Stancil Jr., Bill and Margaret Stancil Sellers.
Family photo

William Arthur Stancil was born Dec. 26, 1898.

He was the second son of John Archer and Pinettie.

Arthur was married to Clyde Holland and Sidney Perry. He had four children with Clyde and two with Sidney.

Arthur had black hair and blue eyes. He joined Holly Springs Free Will Baptist Church, when he was quite young and still wearing what was called a "waist." A waist was a short shirt that came only to the waist.

Arthur was not a large man, but he was a proud man. He was a good-looking man, with black hair and blue eyes. Many girls wanted to go with him. Arthur was of medium height and slender build. He was a good farm hand, with expert plowing and mule driving skills. "Mike," a large bay was his favorite mule.

There were no schools close to John's home. John wanted his children to be educated. He sent Arthur and Alice to live with their grandparents, Tom and Delaney, so they could attend the Woodard School. They stayed with their grandparents during the week, returning home on Friday. Arthur and Alice attended school for a while, but both Arthur and Alice dropped out of school before finishing. Arthur started farming with his father.

Many people were having their appendix removed during this time. Effie, Uncle George's daughter had her appendix removed. Dr. Carnegie told patients that their appendix could rupture and needed to be removed before it did, and if it wasn't removed, they could die. Dr. Carnegie of Rocky Mount, NC, removed Arthur's appendix. Surgery was done in John's house on the kitchen table. The charge was $100.

Arthur and his cousin Emmette, George Ira's son, had a lot in common. They enjoyed the taste of whiskey, had hot tempers and liked pretty women who were well endowed. Arthur and Emmette often double dated.

William Arthur Stancil in 1902
Family photo

Arthur dated Dessie Morris and took her to Holly Springs Freewill Baptist Church. That's how Emmette met his future wife. Millard was dating Iva Knight at the time.

Emmette and Millard decided to visit Union Grove Baptist Church, in Wayne County. Church was a good place to meet nice, available girls. Arthur went with them. Arthur met Clyde Holland who had black hair and brown eyes. She was very pretty with a magnetic personality. Clyde was also a talented pianist and superb seamstress. She grew up on a farm in Wayne County. Clyde was the daughter of Ulysses Grant and Etta Holland. Arthur quickly fell in love. Arthur and Clyde decided to marry.

Arthur was 24 when he married 23-year-old Clyde. They married on Aug. 3, 1923.

Justice of the Peace, George Ira Stancil (his uncle), performed the marriage at his home. Witnesses were: Harvey Arthur Stancil, Arthur's uncle, Leonard Boyette and Millard Stancil, Arthur's brother.

Arthur and Clyde lived briefly with John and Pinettie. John gave Arthur a farm and they moved into one of the tenant houses. Immediately John began building them a house. Arthur grew corn and tobacco and also bought and sold mules. Arthur drove a Ford car.

Arthur and Clyde had three children. The oldest son was Worth "Tom" Hayes Stancil, born May 16, 1924.

15 months later William "Bill" Arthur Stancil Jr. was born on Aug. 8, 1925.

22 months later daughter Margaret was born on June 22, 1927.

An unnamed infant son, who died at birth, was born on Sept. 23, 1932. All of the children were born at home. Arthur went to get the doctor. Dr. Hayes of Fremont delivered Tom. Dr. Grady from Kenly, delivered Bill, Margaret and the son that died.

Clyde had a treasured baby plate she used when she was a baby. She used it with her own children and finally gave it to Margaret.

Clyde began graying early at age 26. She often wore her hair pulled back into a bun.

Clyde was a good friend with Mavis, Harvey's daughter. Often in the summer Mavis, Ollie and Claudia would spend several days with Clyde and Arthur. It was a short walk down a well-worn path. Mavis had been living with Harvey since her divorce from Raymond.

Clyde liked dogs. Her favorite dog was Snowball, a bulldog. Snowball had puppies with a hound dog. One puppy was kept and named Spot by Margaret.

Clyde milked the cow and Margaret churned the butter. The churn was wooden, with a wooden dasher that had to be moved up and down rapidly. Margaret hated this job. Clyde sold butter to the country stores in Kenly.

Margaret loved visiting her grandparents, John and Pinettie. Margaret was the only granddaughter. John had a special place in his heart for her, often buying candy just for her and holding her in his lap.

Arthur's sons were expected to help out on the farm at an early age. Clyde worked hard to look after her family. She grew a large garden and canned fruits and vegetables. Clyde and Arthur hosted hog and cow killings to insure a supply of meat year round. Once a week, Clyde would serve fried fish and once a week, she'd treated her children to hotdogs. Clyde and Alice made all of Margaret's clothes. They were better than ready-made.

Neither Tom nor Bill liked to hunt. Tom, Bill and Harold often dated together. Often using Arthur's automobile.

Church was important. Services at Holly Springs Free Will Baptist Church alternated with those at Center Ridge Presbyterian Church. Arthur and Clyde attended both churches with their family.

Arthur had trouble putting his family's welfare first. His quick temper made getting along impossible. Once his pa died he seemed to have free range to treat his family as he pleased, Disagreements became more frequent. Clyde loved music but Arthur did not like music. He didn't allow music in the house. Differences became more apparent and were destroying the family. Home was not a haven. It was more like a war zone. Arthur would grab anything handy when he disciplined his boy, including a chain. His drinking putting his family in danger of his irrational wrath.

Tom could not take anymore abuse. He moved out of the house before he turned 16 in 1940. Tom was only 16 years old when he graduated from Glendale High School after completing three years of high school in 1941. This was after the required 11 years of schools.

Bill dropped out of Glendale after Tom graduated. Bill, 15, had completed two years of high school. Tom and Bill left Johnston County, and headed for the shipyards in Wilmington, NC, and job opportunities there. They moved into a boarding house run by Emmette and Dessie Stancil. Later Tom moved on to the shipyards in Norfolk, Va.

The United States entered World War II on Dec. 8, 1941. Labor demands in the ship yards continued to increase. Tom and Bill were at last in a calmer environment.

Back at the farm, Arthur and Clyde's problems continued to escalate. There was no tranquility. The only solution was to separate. Clyde finally gathered her courage and moved out left in 1943. She and Margaret moved to Kenly, with only a suitcase. Clyde found a house. Her father bought them a bed. Clyde used her seamstress skills to support her family. As soon as she was able, Clyde filed for divorce.

Among the families Clyde sewed for were the Wilkerson Family, in Kenly, who owned a decorating store.

Renn Stancil Hinton

www.stancilreunion.com 2011
About Us |
Contact Us | Modified March 6, 2011